It's official! With temperatures falling into single digits, winter is here. Although I'm sad to see the end of Autumn, there is one reason for me to be please. It's a reason that's been hanging in my wardrobe for a few months now. Yes friends - it's time to wear my new coat!
I bought this navy wool and leather trenchcoat from The Kooples when on my summer holidays in France. The fact that The Kooples is french, coupled with a dip in foreign exchange meant that I saved almost 20% on the British retail price.
It still cost me £400 - which is basically the most I've ever spent on a coat butI'd just spent the week reading 'The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying' by Marie Kondo and her mantra of only keeping and buying things that 'inspire joy' just... inspired the purchase?
In addition to inspiring joy, I figured that
1) It's a timeless, classic shape
2) I don't have any trenchcoats
3) I'd earned a bit of money reporting from London Fashion Week and I figured it may as well go back into the industry
4) It was 20% cheaper than buying it in the UK
All of the key points that led me to justifying that I would buy this as an investment (and then probably eat beans for the rest of the month). Will it pay off? Let's find out if I'm wearing it in a couple years time..
As an accountant, you know I'm all about value so my wardrobe is definitely not all designer labels. Today's outfit sees me mix this high-end investment coat with some $19 Levi's that I bought on sale in New York and a £15 Cluse watch that I bought second-hand from Depop.


Outfit Details
The Kooples Coat: Trench-Style Wool Broadcloth Coat with Leather Details £495
M&S Suede Footglove Ankle Boots £59: The heel is the perfect height, they are comfortable enough to wear all day. They come in Khaki too.
Meli Melo Utility Bag approx £200 - now discontinued but more details and pics here.
Levi's 501 CT jeans - £16 - Found these in the clearance section I'm going to be creating some more rips in my jeans myself soon. Should I do a DIY rip your jeans vid maybe?!
Cluse Imitation Watch £15 - second hand found on Depop (my fave)
If you're messy and a bit of a hoarder, I recommended reading the Marie Kondo book. I certainly approach buying things a bit differently now!
Previously, I'd always be about a bargain - but sometimes spending to save means you still spend. I now spend if I need to spend, and they end up being things that I really enjoy using and enjoy looking after now. Definitely recommend the book.
Are you ready for winter? What was the last "investment piece" that you bought?
Tweet me your thoughts @FaceValueBlog or send me a comment on Facebook!




















